In Sanskrit, Alternate Nostril Breathing is called Nadi Shodhana Pranayama, which translates to “subtle energy clearing breathing technique”. Some of the benefits include:
calming the mind, reducing anxiety, and bringing a feeling of relaxation to the entire body. It also relaxes the mind in preparation for meditation, which can be helpful for those struggling to settle down before meditating. When performed for just a few minutes, Alternate Nostril Breathing can instantly reduce stress and fatigue.
- Place the tips of your right index finger and middle finger between your eyebrows.
- Place your ring and little fingers on the left nostril
- Place your thumb on the right nostril.
- Press the thumb on the right nostril and breathe through the left.
- Change and press on the left nostril and breathe through the right.
- Repeat for five minutes.